ABOUT

INTRODUCTION TO THE SCHOOL

Clarendon Park is a Primary School situated in the lovely garden suburb of Walmer in Gqeberha (Port Elizabeth).  It is a co-educational school with a total enrolment of 990 boys and girls and caters for Grade 1 to Grade 7 pupils.

Clarendon Park prides itself on being a community school which promotes family values.  We encourage our children to broaden their horizons and invite the parents to become involved in a partnership with the staff to help each child reach their full potential.

Although facilities, convenience and the quality and variety of activities at a school are important considerations when choosing the correct school, Clarendon Park is in fact a lot more than this.  We strive to be a centre of excellence in every sphere of education.  More importantly we aim to be a place where all pupils are able to grow intellectually, physically emotionally and spiritually in a caring, happy, nurturing and safe environment.

The real strength of our school remains with the three human elements that make up the school.  Firstly, the loyal and professional staff, who go far beyond the call of duty to provide the best possible educational experience for all their pupils. Secondly, our parents, who over the years have provided such wonderful support through governance, assisting with school activities or ensuring that pupils are ready to meet the needs of each school day.  Thirdly, our pupils, who are the very reason for the existence of Clarendon Park and who give us all a real sense of pride as they progress and develop through their years at our school.

To summarise, Clarendon Park is a well-balanced school with strong academic, cultural, sporting and pastoral care programmes.  More importantly, we are a happy family of staff, parents and pupils who work together to meet the challenges of modern education.

OUR MISSION STATEMENT

At Clarendon Park …

Everyone has the right to work without being disrupted.

Everyone has the right to be treated courteously and respectfully.

Everyone has the right to work in a clean, safe and orderly environment.

Everyone has the right to feel proud of this school.

HISTORY OF CLARENDON PARK PRIMARY SCHOOL

In 1939 a second primary school was established in the Walmer area with the name Walmer Preparatory School.  As no school buildings were available the school made use of the St John’s Church Hall in 8th Avenue, Walmer.  Miss Spearman was appointed as the first principal to be assisted by two teachers to educate the 29 pupils enrolled at the school.  For the next 9 years Walmer Preparatory School would operate out of this Church Hall and offer enrolment to pupils from Sub A (Grade 1) to Standard 1 (Grade 3).

As pupil numbers had grown to over 150, it became necessary for the Cape Education Department to build a new school. The site of Clarendon Park was secured for this building which was officially opened by Mrs Edith Bulbring on 19th March 1948.

A name change was now necessary as the school would offer enrolment from Sub A (Grade 1) to Standard 5 (Grade 7) and, therefore, could no longer be called a Preparatory school.  Also, Walmer Primary School already existed in 4th Avenue, Walmer (now Settlers Park Primary).  It was decided to name the school after the original title deeds of the land, namely Clarendon Park.

1948 heralded a new beginning under the new principal, Mrs Jordan.  It was now named Clarendon Park Primary School.  Enrolment would continue to grow over the years.  The facilities have also received much attention and today Clarendon Park boasts a modern, up to date campus which caters for the 990 pupils presently enrolled at the school, who are educated by 69 academic staff, assisted by 38 Administrative and Estate Staff.

Progressive in its approach to education, Clarendon Park Primary School remains unchanged in certain areas.  The uniform and Clarendon Park School badge, the motto, “Honour and Truth” and our school song, steeped in tradition, remain unchanged since its beginnings.

Clarendon Park Primary School is presently in its 76th year of offering a quality education to its pupils and enjoys a reputation as a leading school in the Gqeberha (Port Elizabeth) area.

School Building 1948

Staff 1948

Grade 7 1953

School Building 1988

Principals 1948 – 2019

“Clarries pupils look out for each other and care for each other, and no-one is treated differently and it is like a big family”